A smart approach to packaging
The plastic lid and seal are formed as one integrated unit and fixed to the plastic tray for easy opening. Peelpaq® is reclosable with a click-and-close hinge mechanism. The sealed area is secured to the film and lid, enabling the sealing film to be held tight during reclosing/reopening.
How Peelpaq® works
- The inner seal area (A) runs right around the tray. The sealing film is affixed to it to create an airtight pack.
- The outer seal area (B) runs between the hinge lines parallel to the inner seal area on the same plane. The lid, which is slightly larger than the tray, is integrated into the wider sealing edge.
- A U-shaped perforated line (C) forms the intersection with perforation points around the end of the tray. These optimize the balance between strength and shear during sealing.
- The hinged part (D) with a fixed hinge strip at both ends of the hinge line, integrated into the perforated intersection line, enables a very high dead fold of the sealable element.
- The closing features (E) are formed from two corner tabs on the front of the pack to ensure a firm grip when the packaging gets reclosed.
- The opening tab (F) is made out of hard plastic with a 3D edge that offers much better grip than the fragile flexible sealing film used on conventional packs.
The same functionality with less plastic
The Peelpaq® concept overcomes many key production, quality and reliability problems associated with conventional fresh food packaging.
Classic fresh food packaging usually has 3 parts:
- A hard thermoplastic tray with an oxygen barrier offering a shelf life of 7 to 20 days
- A peelable film bonded to the edge of the tray to create an airtight seal
- A separate lid that clicks to the outer edge of the tray
In comparison, Peelpaq® only has 2 parts while adding to the functionality.
- The packaging is easily reclosable after use
- Shelf life can be increased by modified atmosphere packaging
- The packaging functions with a minimal use of material (25% reduction in materials and 40% in weight)
- More convenient, secure and user friendly
The fresh food sector continues to be fiercely competitive and highly regulated. That will only increase as time goes on. Plastic packaging endure more stringent safety concerns and environmental compliance standards.
If you want more information on how Peelpaq® can help you tackle these concerns while keeping your costs down, contact us.